5 Types of UK Football Fans
5 Types of UK Football Fans
- The Cynic – This fan is the one that is the hardest to talk about UK Football with. They seem to revel in every misfortune, and love to bring up moments from the past that the rest of us spend decades trying to forget. The cynic can’t name more than 3 players on the current roster, doesn’t watch games, and doesn’t understand why we can’t have Nick Saban as our head coach. Kick rocks, guy.
- The Unrealistic Optimist – The beginning of September is the best time of the year for this fan. As he/she scans quickly over the schedule, there doesn’t seem to be a game that UK shouldn’t be able to win. By the time November rolls around and UK is just hoping to become bowl eligible, the unrealistic optimist is able to recount a specific moment in each of the losses that prevented UK from being a 10 win team this year. Next year, those things will be straightened out, and the SEC East will belong to the Cats!
- The Fair Weather Fan – In all likelihood, UK is going to lay the smack down on Central Michigan on September 1st. When that happens, the fair weather fan will rush to Allsports to buy a new UK hoodie and proudly fly UK flags from his/her car windows. After a tough loss in Gainesville (hope I’m wrong) on September 8th, the new hoodie will be folded up and placed in a drawer until the next glimmer of hope comes along. This fan is just a couple bad seasons away from wearing red on Saturdays, which is completely inexcusable.
- The Drunk – If there’s a Noon home game, you can count on the drunk being the first to set up a tailgate tent and crack a bud light before most of us have turned on the coffee pot. Win or lose, gameday is an opportunity to drink in public, play AC/DC excessively loud on busted speakers, and to entertain every passerby with dance moves that can only be performed by someone who would blow at least a .15. The drunk may or may not have tickets to the game, but regardless, there are no plans to leave the tailgate lot and pass through the gates of “dry” Kroger Field.
- The Glutton For Punishment – This is probably the most connectable for many UK fans. We know how tough the SEC schedule is. We know Louisville is probably a lot better than us. We even know that no game against a weak non-conference opponent is a guaranteed win and no lead is ever safe. Ever. This fan shows up for games in all types of weather and is usually hoarse on Sundays because they screamed so loud on Saturday. When Florida rolled into Lexington in 2017, the stands were completely full of hopeful gluttons for punishment, only to watch the UK secondary not once, but twice forget to cover a UF wideout. When the program finally does become a relevant player in the East consistently, these people will be the happiest. God bless the gluttons.